Gatley Carrs has been an area of wetland on the floodplain of the River Mersey for many centuries. In medieval times, it was used for growing oval reed for basket making. The baskets were used for farming in the 18th & 19th centuries.
After farming ceased in the 1920's, the Carrs was used as a landfill site from 1930-1980, and was then restored as a public open space.
The planting of trees, flora, the excavation of ponds and the seeding of the Wildflower Meadow has created the wonderful variety of habitats that we enjoy today.
Click on the images below for an enlarged version.