Vintage Typewriter

News & Events

Minutes of Meeting 14 January 2015

Thursday, 5 Mar 2015

Minutes from Meeting 14th January 2015

25 Attendees

Present:
John Pollard (Chairman), Emma Burrows (Temporary Secretary), Peter Owen (PR) Gillian Oakes, Bill Oakes, Arthur Broadbent, Heidi Limb, Sharon Matthews, Sue Pilling, Dave Colleavy, B Taylor, Alan Butler, Nadeem Bokhari, Christine McDonnell, Lesley Witton, Margaret Brennan, Derek Brennan, Helen Shaw, Angela Bent, Rachel Bent, Simone Callaghan, Ruth Wilson, Fran Heron

1. Apologies:
Received from:
Iain Roberts, Jean and Geoff Skitt, Edwina Bahr, Jim Arkwright, Charles Booth, David Bailey, Nigel Bent.

2. Approval of Minutes
Minutes from 11th November 2014 Meeting approved and signed off.

3. Matters Arising:

  • Task day needed to remove Goat Willow Tree and debris from pond - tba.
  • Courses needed for 1st Aiders and Mechanical Tools Course - to push with SMBC as we have several volunteers to go on this: Heidi Limb, Dave Colleavy, Jim Arkwright
  • Orchard - no further progress apart from we have had confirmation that SMBC will replace trees if they die due to being relocated.
  • WFM awaiting for SMBC to clear meadow of hay.

Green Flag Award
We are not applying this year as the Award is for 2014/15. We have not yet received the Appraisal of the site from the Green Flag adjudicators which would prove helpful for feedback purposes - JP to contact to try and get a copy.

Greenspace Forum

  • JP and PO are nominated contacts for GCCG.
  • Cheshire Wildlife Trust Centre in Nantwich have put in a bid for 1.2 million. GBP to set up a Warden service for Stockport area and Conservation training for volunteers which will be of huge benefit to the area as previously has been overlooked somewhat.

Action - tbc

GVP Litterpick
GVP cannot yet organise this as there is nobody able to complete the risk assessment and SMBC do not have the staff to run the relevant training course.
Action - on hold.

Paula Isherwood - Hornbeam Tree has now been ordered and will be planted near to the existing Sweet Chestnut Tree.

Dog Notices - in hand - EB and AB to site these before Spring.

Christmas Stall at GVP Xmas Fayre
EB reported on the outcome of GCCG having a presence at the Fayre.
All calendars that were bought to the Fayre sold out and 13 new members were signed up. Stall generated a good amount of interest and general feeling overall was that it was well worth being there. Thanks to Peter Owen, Fiona Campbell and John Pollard for assisting during the afternoon.

4. Treasurers Report
Currently 143 active memberships .
Balance in Account : £2,573.13.
Calendars raised £296.00
Invoice for removal of Reed Mace £960.00 has been paid.

5. Correspondence
Email from Ernest Nama to EB received informing of works to begin on Lorna Grove Bridge within the next couple of weeks - since then another email has arrived giving start date of 26/01/2015 and works lasting approx 5 days (one working week)

Memorial Bench
Mrs Margaret Buott of Green Walk, Gatley sadly passed away shortly before Christmas and we have had communication from her daughter concerning a possible Memorial Bench on the Carrs.
EB has liased with SMBC and gained relevant permissions and a price list and brochure has been obtained and now sent to the family to cover differing budgets.
The "Clarendon" and the "Harlech" are both steel constructed and will harmonise with the existing seating on site.
The proposed site of the bench will be adjacent to the Orchard facing the WFM.
Action - ongoing - (EB)

6. Calendar
2016 – Decided to open the Calendar as a photographic competiton to the public and also include Gatley Primary School to provide one page per season. EB to ctc Gatley Primary – ongoing.

7. PR/Peter Owen
January Newsletter to be completed by PO – Contributions from members are being encouraged.
Articles in the SK8 magazine have been submitted and distributed.
History of GC dating back to Medieval times has now been produced by JP onto a 60 slide PP presentation for future use.

8. Spring Dates:
Jan 21st JP and PO to guest at Rotary – will report back on this at next meeting
Jan 24/25th RSBP Birdwatch – pushing on FB page and PO has agreed to do a small walk/talk to help people to participate.

6th February – Bug Hotel Workshop with Rainbows – helpers requested.

Feb 17th – Bug Hotel Workshop at the Scout Hut – helpers requested.

Task Day arranged for 15th Feb to clear dipping pond and to mend and clean bird and bat boxes. JP to arrange paperwork and relevant approvals with SMBC.

1st March – “Trees in Winter” – guided walk around the Carrs with John Pollard to lead and present.

4th April – Easter Egg Hunt

May Bat Walk and Talk – PO to contact and arrange date.

9. Nominees for AGM for Positions of Chairperson and Secretary
Wildlife Officer, Publicity, Membership and Education officers to be elected.
Peter Owen has indicated he is prepared to stand as Chairperson Fiona Campbell as Education/Membership Emma Burrows Secretary John Pollard as Wildlife Officer
Need to be nominated and voted – minuted and copies to Bank of all official documentation.

Agenda for AGM raising of subscription charges to Single £5 Family £7.50 per annum. All agreed subs should be raised.

10. Wildflower Meadow

  • Waiting for SMBC to clear raked hay.
  • Council have agreed to fund spraying of thistles
  • Council have agreed to fund (some) wildflower plugs /seeds.
  • Maintaining/Removal of Fencing – has been suggested by John Rowlands that the current fencing around the WFM will be removed. Various concerns have been raised over this proposal and EB will write to JR at SMBC to outline our concerns at this and to ask for it to be kept in situ.


11. AOB
None minuted

12. Date of Next Meeting
AGM - 11th March 19:30 at Horse and Farrier.

Next Item >